Friday, April 13, 2012

Blue Eyed Boy - review

“Once there was a widow with three sons, and their names were Black, Brown and Blue. Black was the eldest; moody and aggressive. Brown was the middle child, timid and dull. But Blue was his mother's favourite. And he was a murderer.”

The fantasies Blueyedboy plays out online and his obsession with Albertine consumes his entire life, just as this book will consume yours, reader.
I expected a twisted, odd and surprising read from Joanne Harris, having read a couple of her books including Chocolat and The Lollipop Shoes, but this one really threw me. A couple of times when I picked up the book, I even wondered to myself: “Should I even be reading this?” “Should I really be reading about some twisted, lonely, disturbed middle-aged man’s murder fantasies?” “Should anyone?”
It’s like when we pick up a newspaper or open a news website – we know we shouldn’t get excited when someone gets murdered, but as soon as we see the words “murder” or “homicide” in a headline, it’s the first story we read. If there’s anything I learnt as a journalist, it’s that bad news sells.
So although it was a major change from what I usually read, and despite the “wow that sounds really sadistic” response from Josh when I read him the synopsis, I continued reading and somehow ended up liking the sadistic man in question, aka blueeyedboy - murder fantasies, cowardice and all. That was, until the end - an ending that, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't guess, and one that I won't ruin for you except to say this - it's good.
If you want to challenge your morals and question your faith in introverts, I suggest you pick up this book, but pick it up with an open mind as you should any Joanne Harris book, because you never know what damning twist she’s got waiting for you around the corner.



7 comments:

  1. Thanks for your kind recommendation and I read the above preview with excitement.

    I strongly believe it is a great book to read. I will pick up this book whenever I have time to do so.

    Thanks and have a nice weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you speak so highly of it, and I have a natural attraction to noir and things that are morally challenging, I will put it on my reading list.

    By the way, you're not on commission, are you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've added blue eyed boy to my tbr list...thanks for the review!...also welcome to book blogs! my blog is at http://bethartfromtheheart.blogspot.com/

    if you care to follow, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I have read so far, it reads like an interesting book about human nature. I will add it to my list. Thanks Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Oh James - Hope you enjoy the book!
    @Raul - Good on you for putting it on your list, let me know what you think once you've read it - Joanne Harris is a brilliant writer. And, commission? I wish! haha.
    @Beth - Hi Beth, welcome to my blog, thanks for reading! Great blog, I've become a follower :)
    @Naomi Paige - No worries Naomi, thanks for reading!
    @Silverlight - Thanks so much for visiting and following!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever an author can make me like someone I would never imagine liking I am impressed. Based on your review I am curious about this book. It sounds fascinating.

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete