Monday, May 7, 2012

Healthy May - Week 1

So last week, I joined Amanda from Here Comes the Sun on her journey towards becoming more fit and healthy (I wrote this post about it) and I promised you a run-down of my healthy week, so here it is.

Fitness:
On Tuesday, I went to the gym and did a Body Combat class, which was amazing! I haven't been able to do it for awhile due to issues with my feet, but they have behaved themselves for the past week, so it felt so great to go back and punch and kick the living daylights out of some air! (Body Combat is mixed martial arts group fitness). Also hit the gym on Thursday for about an hour. For week two I'm hitting the gym three times!

Food:
I've managed to cut down a bit on my sugar - there's been no chocolate in the house and I'm saving money so I've been strict with myself about buying unnecessary food, and my meals have been relatively healthy this week.
For lunch this week I made a recipe out of The Healthy Skin Diet book called Roasted Sweet Potato Salad and it is delish! (the flaxseed oil can be a bit of a put-off because it's expensive but you only use a little bit so it lasts a long time and if you're not worried about your skin you can just leave it out) Who would have thought that curry powder and lemon juice go so well together? So here's the recipe...


Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato/kumara, peeled and diced into bite-sized chunks
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon mild curry powder
Ground black pepper
Pinch sea salt
1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
200g rocket or baby spinnach (approx 2 handfuls)

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Place sweet potato/kumara in a bowl and mix with olive oil, then place on a baking tray and cook for 30 minutes or until pieces are soft and browned (not mushy). Remove from the oven and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the lemon juice, garlic, curry powder, pepper, salt and flaxseed oil. Then add the sweet potato and rocket, and gently mix.

*Tip: Replace lettuce with spinach or rocket in any meal. Lettuce is pretty much just water and gives you no nutrients at all, while spinach and rocket are full of nutrients and all those body-friendly things.


Goals for next week:
  • Do weights and crunches every night before bed (flat stomach here I come!)
  • Stay away from too much dairy, especially milk (inflames acne-prone skin)
  • Hit the gym three times, including Body Combat on Tuesday
  • Try a new recipe from The Healthy Skin Diet
How did everyone else get on?

4 comments:

  1. Yum! recipe sounds delicious. very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah! Body Combat sounds like a lot of fun, wish I could give it a try! I'm going food shopping tomorrow and am sincerely hoping to not buy anything unnecessary -- Good luck this coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That recipe looks fantastic, will definitely be trying it out this week. And thanks for the lettuce tip! Well done so far x

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello!that workout sounds awesome. the one downside of using the gym at my apartment complex is that there aren't any classes.
    that recipe looks good... i think i may check it out :)

    ReplyDelete